How to teach your kids to be happy
Published by Eric Barker, March 24, 2014
Happier kids are more likely to turn into successful, accomplished adults. So looking at science, what really woks when it comes to raising happy kids?
- Get happy yourself as a parent
- Teach them to build relationships. Perform small acts of kindness to build empathy.
- Expect effort, not perfection. Parents who overemphasize achievements are most likely to have kids with high level of depression, anxiety and substance abuse compared to other kids.
- Teach optimism
- Teach Emotional Intelligence. Empathize, label and validate when they are struggling with anger or frustration.
- Form happiness habits like stumulus removal. Get distractions out of the way. Set your goal and make it public for social support and pressure. One goal at a time. Keep at it.
- Teach self-discipline
- More playtime
- Rig their environment for Happiness
- Eat dinner together